Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
Some interesting information on Sven
- Full name: Sven Delmeiren
- Date of birth: April 23, 1978
- Education: Computer science
- Current job: Service Engineer at Computers and Communications NV
- Languages: Dutch (mother tongue), English (good), French (intermediate), German (intermediate), hope to learn some more basic Nepali and Hindi from our friend Raj
- Favourite food: Belgian fries, Chinese food
- Favourite drink: hmm... that would be beer. My favourite ones are Ename Tripel, Chimay Bleu, Rochefort 8°, Duvel
- Favourite movies: I'm not really into movies as I hardly ever have time to watch them, but some movies I really liked include Silence of the Lambs, Ice Age, the Pianist.
- Favourite music: basically I like all kinds of music, but some of my favourite music kinds/bands are Nightwish, the Levellers, U2, Three Doors Down, 12 Stones, AC/DC, Green Day, Pink, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Irish folk in general, 80's rock, Enya
- Most memorable travel experience(s): my trips to Ireland (love that country) and Slovenia (the hike to the top of the Triglav was beautiful). Cycling around Scotland and the Orkney Isles for 3 weeks, my first "big trip".
- Dream destination(s): Hmm, Asia of course, the big highlight for me is certainly the Himalaya as I love hiking. Other destinations on my wish list include: Iceland, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Australia, Canada, Greenland, Russia, Peru.
- Website: http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/sdlmeire
Travelling, different countries and cultures - I'm not a real culture freak, but I do have a basic interest in it. Always like to combine different aspects of travelling. I really like travelling a lot, getting away from the normal day-to-day life and being able to... just explore. Feels to be alive ! :-)
Nature, adventure - I really love nature and adventure a lot... let me go camping in a wonderful landscape or hiking in the mountains and you'll see me revive - no wonder the Himalaya is going to be one of the highlights of our trip :-)
Music - I really love music a lot and it really helps to put my mind at ease after a stressfull day. As for listening to music, I really like any kind of music... as long as there's enough variation (don't make me listen to techno music for 3 hours or I'm getting crazy :p). Also, I play synths... used to play in a band but due to a lack of time the band kind of... retired :-) I do still spend a lot of time playing the synths at home though, which I really enjoy
People, philosophy, psychology - I put a lot of efforts in people, trying my very best to always be there for the people I care about. Also, the way how people react in different situations intrigates me. I always like to expand my human knowledge, which I think is very important in life
- Personal philosophy / favourite quotes:
"Treat people the way you want to be treated yourself"
"Carpe diem... live life to the fullest, try to get as much out of life as possible as it's way too short, dont't whine or argue, just enjoy !"
"Listen to people... think twice before you act... Communicate! There's so many misunderstandings between people which can be easily avoided. Accept criticism and handle it in a positive way!"
"Do the things in life you really want to do, don't keep saying 'one day...'. I don't want to have become old one day and have to say: 'if only I'd have enjoyed life a little more...' :p"
"Don't do something, judge someone or something, or act just because society or religion tells you to do so... think yourself, follow your heart and make the right decisions for your own !"
"The world is like a book. Those who do not travel have only read one page"